The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Hamilton, was built by the brother of the first incumbent, the tractarian architect John Henderson. Work began on the building in 1845 and was completed in 1847. The Chancel was extended by his son, George Henderson in 1872. The church design is of an early English style and was originally established largely by the officers of the 90th Regiment, 2nd Battalion of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) who were based at the then Hamilton Barracks. Two historic colours have been on display at the church for many years. There are many military memorials, including commemorative windows, and historic regimental colours displayed in the church.